Medi-Immune, Ltd have today (31-03-2020) announced an urgent call for proposals to create global partnerships and alliances to facilitate the rapid manufacture and deployment of their ProtectivAir® compact, wearable, breathing (PPE) device which will protect front-line healthcare staff and those working in biologically compromised environments.
Medi-Immune is fully confident, based upon previous tests and established science that ProtectivAir® will prove effective in protecting users from the COVID-19 virus. This has triggered a global positive response that has confirmed an overwhelming demand to bring ProtectivAir® into production and deployment as soon as possible. Initial estimates, based upon responses to date, indicate an immediate demand for ProtectivAir® in excess of 2,000,000 units.
Medi-Immune believes that with the right global partnership ProtectivAir®, could be in production in weeks, providing protection and saving lives long before production and deployment of a vaccine. To indicate your organisation’s interest in assisting Medi-Immune realize this potential and help in the global fight against the COVID-19 pandemic please contact Medi-Immune by visiting www.medi-immune.com for further details or contact directly at:
Medi-Immune believes the reasons behind the overwhelming market response to ProtectivAir® can be summarised as follows:
• Disables airborne pathogens before they are inhaled
• Immediately protects the user from infection
• Does not use a filter. This allied with an optional, small positive air pressure generated by the device and tailored to best suit each user type/application environment, provides far better protection from leakage than existing mask systems.
• It is mask manufacturer independent, standard masks can be attached and designed to best suit multiple user type/application environments
• Superior operator protection over N95/99 and FFP3 face masks as well as much improved breathability and ease of use for the wearer. There is no requirement for fit testing or fit test training. ProtectivAir® is completely reusable, internally self-sterilising (the outside can be surface decontaminated) and does not suffer from reduced efficacy over time (like conventional face masks).
• Public Health England – at their Porton Down laboratories, have validated test results – confirming protection.
Infectious diseases emerge at a frequency of one every 8 months of which a proportion are pathogens transmitted as aerosols. Emerging respiratory diseases do and will continue to cause havoc within the world’s population, as is happening now with the ever worsening COVID-19 pandemic. The technology utilized by ProtectivAir®’ is by design pathogen independent, this unique innovation along with a prolonged shelf-life, means it can be stockpiled for later use and represents an investment against future outbreaks in addition to the current COVID-19 pandemic.
ProtectivAir® is an all-British invention, patented internationally, and represents a paradigm shift in respiratory protection. UVc has long been known and used as a way to sterilise surfaces and instruments but this novel application harnesses this technology to sterilise breathing air to protect users/wearers of the device.